Saturday, October 19, 2013

Homecoming

This post is for one of "my former dads".  I apologize very much for you having to tell me the blog is outdated.  I have been quite negligent in writing.  I also can't say that there is a real legitimate excuse for not taking care of this.  At any rate, today was Homecoming!  The weekend started on Friday with alumni meetings, a luncheon, many more activities, and topped off with the annual "gala".  Last night it was referred to as the Reception. Instead of being held in the cavernous Brock Center, it was held in the newly constructed, Brock Commons, the Student Center.  It was a tremendous affair. What makes it so special is I get to see so many alumni-- not just basketball players, but students I have had in class. Also there are many others that I get to see or meet. Some know me because I am the basketball coach, but I don't know them. It's a great opportunity to meet outstanding alumni.  Then comes Saturday.  Obviously tailgating is an important aspect of the day. It was in the tailgating area that I was chastised for not keeping up to date. I will definitely try to do better. It was also in the tailgating area that I saw many former players, athletes and more alumni.  Special times and memories are relived.  The basketball alumnae heard of the possible locker room renovation and were asked how to go about raising the dollars. I was told it was a done deal. They were actively moving forward to get the dollars in hand--Amazing. But how exciting, in one day with visits by many former basketball players they were all told of the idea and they all said, "I'm in."  So is that something or what? Our locker room renovation has arrived after all, thanks to all those who have made a difference in this program and still want to make a difference. There is nothing more meaningful to me than to have them want to continue to be a part of this magnificent program and school.  Of course, special thanks to "my former dad" for his aggressiveness and enthusiasm for the project! It is all done out of love and will continue...