Tuesday, April 16, 2013

WBCA Convention & Final Four

New Orleans is an interesting city.  Since I was last there in 2003, Katrina  devastated the place.  I went to a few locations that had revitalized and rebuilt themselves.  Amazing.  I know I didn't go to all of the city in 2003, so it would be really hard for me to compare it post-Katrina in 2013.  I did see some.  The people of New Orleans are a strong and hard working group of individuals.   They suffered and persevered through that awful hurricane and the devastation.  Yet, what gracious hosts they are to us outsiders.  The Convention Center is a monstrous and gi-normous building.  Not only was our, (I thought quite large) coaches convention there, but they had a car show at one end of the building and the American Chemical Society convention in another part.  There were lots of people everywhere!  Then, of course, walking from the convention site to the hotel, about 20-25 minutes, you see all these other people on the streets that are vacationing, touring, working, visiting, etc.  The WBCA and Final Four was not the hottest ticket in town.  Most people didn't even know we were there.  On Bourbon Street we saw a group of young men from Notre Dame in town for a bachelor's party.  We asked if they coincided it with the women's team playing in the Final Four.  Unfortunately I can't publish their answer, but it was clear women's basketball was not their interest or reason for being in town.  New Orleans was fun. The clinics, learning labs, seminars, and round tables were fabulous this year.  I learned lots. I can't wait to implement some stuff, change some thoughts and ideas, work on a few areas and get ready for next season.  For that very reason, it was the best yet!  By the way, I had my first shrimp Po`boy and my first muffaletta. It was worth going to NOLA for them.